State and Local Government Assignment
1. What are some things according to the Constitution that a state cannot do?
2. What are powers only a state has and what are some of them?
3. What does the Supremacy Clause do and where is it found?
4. What is the Full Faith and Credit clause do and where is it found?
5 What does the state do for primary and secondary education?
6. What is an initiative?
7. What is a referendum?
8. What is a recall?
9. What are the qualifications for being Governor of Utah?
10. How long does a Governor serve and is there a limit to how long one can serve in Utah?
11. How is the Utah state legislature set up?
12. How many members are there and when and where do they meet?
13. What is the term of a member of the Utah House of Representatives? Senator?
14. What are the qualifications for each house of the state legislature?
15. What are some ways that citizens of a state can get directly involved in the legislative process?
16. How are members of the Utah State Supreme Court selected?
17. Is it more powerful that the United States Supreme Court? Why?
18. Then what does the Utah State Supreme Court do?
19. How many judges are on it? How did they get appointed there?
20. What is the main purpose of state government?
21. Who is the Governor of your state? What party do they belong to?
22. What is an ordinance? Who passes these ordinances?
23. Name an ordinance in your given area?
24. Do we have county government? Why?
25. Do we have city government? Why?
26. Who usually runs a city government? How did they get in that position?
27. What does a City Commission do?
28. What does a City Council Do?
29. Where do most states spend most of their money?
30. Name three other areas where states spend most of their money?
31. Where does a state get its money to spend on these services?
32. What is a sales tax?
33. What is an income tax?
34. What is a property tax?
35. What is an excise tax? Name one?
36. What is government's role in our economy?
37. What does the Federal Reserve Board do?
38. What is Keynesian economics?
39. What does fiscal policy mean?
40. When our government says we are in debt what does that mean?
41. Why did we get into some much debt?
42. Can you ignore our national debt? Why?
43. What is a deficit?
44. What is deficit spending?
45. What kind of National Income Tax do we have?
46. Do you pay more taxes the richer you become? Why?
Tariff and Duties
47. What are Customs, Duties or Tariffs?
taxes and you
48. How many days does the average worker work to pay his income taxes for the year?
49. The largest amount of money the government spends on is called entitlement programs. What are these?
50. But 16% of the National Budget must be set aside every year to pay what?
51. Where does the government gets most of it's money from?
52. Where does the state get most of it's money from?
53. What is welfare? Then what is public assistance?
54. Do we give money to foreign countries? Why?
55. What is a corporation? What is good about a corporation? Anything bad about them? Name one?
56. What is a cooperative? Do you have one near where you live? What does it do?
57. What is the name of our economic system?
58. Name another economic system?
59. What do we call our government system of the United States?
60. Give me the name of a political system different from the United States?
Approximate Student Minutes Needed to Complete: 60 minutes
Scoring Method: teacher-scored
Total Points Possible: 100 points possible